One of the realities of bringing your cat on your travels, is they need a litter box. Most cats have good litter box habits and will try to go where appropriate, but when they gotta go, they gotta go. This is why it is important to prepare a litter box for them in advance to avoid accidents.
Some cats who are more used to being outdoors may not mind doing their business outdoors, as dogs do. More information on this can be found in my Outdoor Potty Guide.
This guide will focus on travel litter boxes. Of course, you can always bring a regular litter box if you prefer. Five very different litter box options are included in this guide – you may prefer one style over the others depending on how you are traveling (car / plane) and your cat’s preferences.
Even if your cat can go outdoors with no issues during the day, you’ll still need a travel litter box when staying somewhere overnight. Cats don’t do well with change, and it is normal for cats to use the litter box less often on travels. It is important to monitor your cat’s urinary and excrement output. If a cat has not peed in 1 day, or has not pooped in 3 days, its time to bring them to the vet for medical attention.
When you arrive at your destination, you should set up the litter box and then make sure your cat knows its there. I will usually place my cat down in front of or inside the litter box, and let him sniff it. I will also bring the same litter I use at home to make sure it feels familiar. To reduce mess of tracking litter around, I will place a towel in front of the litter box, and sometimes I will bring a dustpan to clean up as well. You will also need a litter scoop to clean the litter box itself.
Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn a commission from qualifying purchases. This will not affect the price of your purchases.
Travel Litter Boxes Options
1. Hanlifer Collapsible Litter Box
This travel litter box is a standard foldable design, but with a lid that you can zip up. This is a good option if you are trying to pack light and want a litter box that folds up as small as possible. It is a little more hassle as you have to pack the litter separately, and this can sometimes be messy.
- Constructed with oxford fabric with plastic board to keep the sides rigid
- Waterproof interior liner
- Litter box size 16″ x 12″ x 5″
- Collapsible to a small size for storage
This is currently the travel litter box that I am using for my own cat. It works exactly as you expect it to.
Where to buy Hanlifer Collapsible Litter Box: Amazon USA / Amazon Canada
2. Petsfit Upgrade Portable Cat Litter Box for Travel
This travel litter box has a similar folded design, but it has a top lid which can be zipped off. This is a good option if you cat prefers privacy when using the litter box, or if you you want to keep the litter contained.
- Can be used as a open litter box or the top zipped on to form a closed cat litter box
- Waterproof fabric is removable and machine washable
- D shaped buckle on the side to hand the cat litter scoop
- Size: 17″ x 13″ x 12.5″
- Door size: 10″ x 8″
Where to buy Petsfit Upgrade Portable Cat Litter Box for Travel: Amazon USA / Amazon Canada
3. Petleader Portable Cat Litter Box
This travel litter box is enclosed in a carrier bag, making it easy to carry around and set up. It takes up more space as it does not fold up, and it roughly the size of a cat carrier. This is a good option if you can carry an extra piece of luggage, and want a litter box that doesn’t require any set up.
- Litter box slides for easy cleaning
- Waterproof oxford material and PVC lining
- Litter box size 17.7″ x 11″ x 11″
- Double pockets to store accessories, and carry handles
Where to buy Petleader Portable Cat Litter Box: Amazon USA / Amazon Canada
4. Necoichi Portable Stress Free Cage Carrier and Litter Box
This travel litter box comes with a matching pop up tent, which is good for containing the mess of tracking litter, and provides privacy for your cat. This is a good option for somewhere you want to keep free of litter particles, such as in a car or hotel room. Please note that the pop up tent is not sturdy enough to be used as a enclosure.
- Cage and litter box set that includes a cage, fleece mat and litter box
- 2 mesh panel sides for breathability and visibility
- Litter box size 15″ x 11″ x 5.1″
Where to buy Necoichi Portable Stress Free Cage Carrier and Litter Box: Amazon USA / Amazon Canada
5. Kitty Sift Disposable Cat Litter Box
This travel litter box is a little different from the others – it is a disposable litter box that comes in a pack of 6. It is made from recycled cardboard and is plastic free which claims to be eco-friendly. A disposable litter box would be a good option if you don’t travel enough to want to purchase one of the other travel litter boxes, or if you want to be able to dispose of the litter box before traveling home.
- Made from 100% post-consumer waste plastic-free, recycled cardboard material
- Comes with a Sifting Liner option if you use pellet litter
- Litter box size: 17.8″ x 13.8″ x 4″
Where to buy Kitty Sift Disposable Cat Litter Box: Amazon USA / Amazon Canada